The Global Programme for Urban Nature Pioneers
What is UrbanByNature?
UrbanByNature is an expertise-sharing and capacity-building programme to empower local governments all around the world to harness the boundless potential of nature for sustainable urban development.
The programme is hosted by ICLEI's CitiesWithNature platform, with contributions from the CLEVER Cities and Connecting Nature projects, funded by the EU’s Horizon 2020 programme. The first phase of the initiative is building bridges with the nature-based solutions communities in Brazil, the Caucasus, China, and Korea, and following phases will expand UrbanByNature’s global outreach to include cities in South America and South Eastern Europe.
UrbanByNature brings established and aspiring urban nature pioneers together in facilitated capacity-building webinars and workshops. The programme was built on an integrated planning process, which has been used by local governments and accounts for the complex combination of departments, sectors and organisations involved in sustainable urban planning.
UrbanByNature’s conceptual approach follows a sequence of seven steps, covering range of aspects relevant for planning and realising green and blue cities.
UrbanByNature's curriculum builds on relevant urban greening methodologies such as the Green Climate City programme and the Green City Action plan methodology for the EBRD, spanning topics such as NBS for urban resilience (with contributions from Connecting Nature), NBS for urban regeneration (with contributions from CLEVER Cities), NBS co-creation, Nature-based Enterprises and more. It reflects a co-creative approach, in which not only principles and methods are shared, but participants work together to actively engage in making cities and towns greener.
During approximately one year in each stream (meaning, a set of region and context specific webinars), you are guided through the programme in seven steps, listening into thematic modules that cover a range of aspects relevant for planning and realising green and blue cities.
- City staff working for Departments of Environment and Greening, Urban Planning, Public Spaces, Public Health, Sustainable Development, Climate Change, Environmental Justice, Sustainable Procurement, etc., as planners or technicians
- Resilience officers
- Policy officers
- Political representatives
- Green entrepreneurs or small and medium enterprises
- Design professionals
- Non-governamental organisations
- Driven citizens
- Community leaders
- Researchers and scholars
- Exchange with global cities on ambitions, processes, policies, financing options and business approaches on how to solve urban development challenges with urban nature
- Learn how to plan and implement urban green and blue interventions for and with citizens
- Support collective action towards a sustainable, inclusive, healthy and resilient future for cities and towns of all sizes, locations, budgets and capacities
- Gain access to tools, methods and approaches that support the planning and implementation of nature-based interventions
- Strengthen the collective action of local and sub-national governments in moving towards global sustainable development and climate goals such as the United Nations SDGs and the Paris Climate Change Agreement